Saturday, July 16, 2022

Postscript from Kristina's letter to Manuel Texeira, dated September 17, 1678

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, pages 430 and 484, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The postscript (I have italicised the part from page 484; the latter part from page 430 is repeated after it):

Sachez au-reste que l'Abbé Santini vous parle de la paix dans cette Lettre selon le sentiment de S. S. ...... mais pas selon moi; car je ne la crois pas du tout, ni ne la desire non plus. La guerre me convient plus, & si elle continue, j'espére de faire bien mes affaires, mais la paix me déconcerteroit à-présent, parce qu'il me faut du tems pour les ajuster; & si je l'ai, ne doutez pas que tout n'aille bien. La Bataille de Mons a été un grand coup, & je vois la Flandre assurée pour toujours, & ainsi mon pronostic est accompli. La prise de Christianstad fera respirer un peu la Suède, & le secours de Bahus est une grande fortune au milieu de tant de disgraces.

Swedish translation (my own):

Vet dessutom att abboten Santini talar till Er om fred i detta brev enligt Hans Helighets känsla ...... men inte enligt mig; ty jag tror det inte alls, och jag önskar det inte heller. Krig passar mig mer, och om det fortsätter, hoppas jag kunna göra mina affärer väl, men fred skulle förvirra mig nu, ty jag behöver tid att anpassa dem; och om jag har det, tvivla inte på att allt är bra. Slaget vid Mons var ett stort slag, och jag ser Flandern försäkrat för alltid, och därmed är min prognos fullbordad. Intagandet av Kristianstad kommer att låta Sverige andas lite, och Bohus hjälp är en stor förmögenhet mitt i så många skamfläckar.

English translation (my own):

Know, moreover, that Abbot Santini speaks to you of peace in this letter according to the sentiment of His Holiness ...... but not according to me; for I do not believe it at all, nor do I desire it. War suits me more, and if it continues, I hope to do my business well, but peace would disconcert me now, because I need time to adjust them; and if I have it, do not doubt that all is well. The Battle of Mons was a great blow, and I see Flanders assured forever, and thus my prognosis is accomplished. The capture of Kristianstad will let Sweden breathe a little, and the help of Bohus is a great fortune in the midst of so many disgraces.


Above: Kristina.

No comments:

Post a Comment