Monday, July 11, 2022

Excerpt from Kristina's letter to Galleazzo Marescotti, the Apostolic Nuncio to Poland, dated June 1, 1669

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 384, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter excerpt:

J'ai vu par celle que vous avez écrite au Cardinal Azzolino, que vous avez si bien concerté cette affaire, tant pour la forme & le tems, que pour la maniére de me proposer, que si j'eusse été moi-même présente pour vous dire mes idées, vous n'auriez pas pu mieux les rencontrer que vous l'avez fait; je considére sur-tout, que quand vous ferez le proposition de la maniére & dans le tems que vous avez fixé, cela servira beaucoup à me faire obtenir au moins la gloire à laquelle j'aspire tant, & que j'estime plus que toutes les Couronnes du Monde, d'avoir été présentée à celle-ci par un si digne Pontife. J'attends au-reste avec une parfaite indifférence & résignation, ce qu'il plaira à Dieu d'en disposer selon son bon-plaisir.

Vous jugerez, Monsieur, par ce que je viens de dire, combien je suis satisfaite de votre conduite, & quel cas je fais de votre force, & de la prudence que vous faites tant paroître dans cette affaire sérieuse. Vous apprendrez du Cardinal Azzolino les réflexions que j'ai faites sur votre proposition, & les petits points que j'estime y devoir être changés, remettant pourtant le tout à votre prudente détermination. J'ai vu le Discours même que le Pére Prieur m'a envoyé, & il me semble qu'on pourroit le publier après qu'il sera réduit dans la forme que vous jugerez la plus convenable.

Swedish translation (my own):

Jag har sett av det brev Ni skrivit till kardinal Azzolino att Ni har ordnat denna affär så väl, så mycket för formen och tiden, som för sättet att fria till mig, att om jag själv varit närvarande för att berätta för Eder mina idéer, Ni kunde inte ha tagit emot dem bättre än Ni gjorde; jag anser framför allt att när Ni lägger förslaget på det sätt och på den tid som Ni har bestämt, så kommer det att tjäna mycket till att få mig att åtminstone få den ära som jag eftersträvar så mycket och som jag värdesätter mer än alla de världens Kronor, som har överlämnats till den av en så värdig påve. I övrigt väntar jag med fullkomlig likgiltighet och resignation vad det än behagar Gud att förfoga över det enligt hans välbehag.

Ni skall kunna bedöma, min herre, efter vad jag nyss har sagt, hur nöjd jag är med Edert uppförande, och hur jag värderar Eder styrka och den försiktighet som Ni visar så mycket i denna allvarliga fråga. Ni skall förnimma av kardinal Azzolino de reflektioner som jag har gjort om Ert förslag, och de små punkter som jag anser bör ändras, men ändå överlåta allt till Er försiktiga beslutsamhet. Jag har sett just det tal som fadern prior skickade till mig, och det förefaller mig att det skulle kunna publiceras sedan det har reducerats till den form Ni anser vara lämpligast.

English translation (my own):

I have seen by the letter you wrote to Cardinal Azzolino that you have arranged this affair so well, as much for the form and the time, as for the manner of proposing to me, that if I had myself been present to tell you my ideas, you could not have received them better than you did; I consider above all that when you make the proposal in the manner and in the time you have fixed, it will serve a great deal to make me obtain at least the glory to which I aspire so much, and which I value more than all the Crowns of the world, to have been presented to it by such a worthy Pontiff. For the rest, I await with perfect indifference and resignation whatever it will please God to dispose of it according to His good pleasure.

You will judge, Sir, by what I have just said, how satisfied I am with your conduct, and how I value your strength and the prudence which you show so much in this serious matter. You will learn from Cardinal Azzolino the reflections that I have made on your proposal, and the little points that I consider should be changed, yet leaving everything to your prudent determination. I have seen the very speech that the Father Prior sent to me, and it seems to me that it could be published after it has been reduced to the form you deem most suitable.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Galleazzo Marescotti, the Apostolic Nuncio to Poland.

No comments:

Post a Comment