Monday, June 13, 2022

Excerpt from Kristina's letter to Galleazzo Marescotti, the Apostolic Nuncio to Poland, dated February 19, 1669

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 380, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter excerpt:

J'agréerai tous les autres points: mais de prendre un Mari au goût de la République, je ne saurois jamais y condescendre. Je pourrois bien souffrir d'être obligée à ne me pas marier sans le consentement de la République; mais de me marier à leur fantaisie, je suis plutôt prête à promettre toute autre chose que celle-là. Je déclare même, que quand on voudroit m'imposer l'obligation de me marier à leur goût, j'aimerois mieux réfuser leur Couronne, que de me soumettre jamais à une loi si inique & si cruelle.

Swedish translation (my own):

Jag skall hålla med om alla andra punkter, men att taga en make till smaken av republiken, jag vill aldrig nedlåta mig därtill. Jag kunde mycket väl lida av att vara tvungen att inte gifta mig utan Republikens samtycke; men att gifta mig efter deras infall, jag är snarare beredd att lova allt annat än det. Jag förklarar till och med att när de ville ålägga mig skyldigheten att gifta mig efter deras smak, skulle jag hellre vägra deras Krona än att någonsin underkasta mig en så orättfärdig och så grym lag.

English translation (my own):

I will agree with all the other points, but to take a husband to the taste of the Republic, I will never condescend to it. I could well suffer from being obliged not to marry without the consent of the Republic; but to marry at their whim, I am rather ready to promise anything but that. I even declare that when they wanted to impose on me the obligation of marrying to their taste, I would rather refuse their Crown than ever submit to a law so iniquitous and so cruel.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Galleazzo Marescotti, the Apostolic Nuncio to Poland.

No comments:

Post a Comment