Monday, June 13, 2022

Excerpt from Kristina's letter to Galleazzo Marescotti, the Apostolic Nuncio to Poland, written just after her/his/their return to Rome, dated November 24, 1668

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 378, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter excerpt:

Je déclare de-nouveau, que je suis & serai toujours satisfaite de toutes vos opérations; vous ne sauriez agir qu'avec une prudence à laquelle je me suis toujours rapportée dans mes précédentes, depuis que je vous ai fait connoître mes sentimens, & particuliérement par rapport au tems le plus favorable pour parler de ma personne ou à la Convocation, ou à la Diette de l'Election, n'ayant jamais entendu qu'on en parlât plutôt, & je ne crois pas m'être autrement expliquée; car je suis assez instruite des affaires du monde, pour ne pas commettre une telle faute, en prétendant qu'on dût faire mention de moi avant la Convocation.

Le sentiment du Cardinal Azzolino est, que mon Mémoire à la République de Pologne peut être présenté en Langue Françoise, tant parce que je ne vois pas moyen d'ajuster autrement les titres en Latin, qu'à cause que mes Lettres étant écrites en François on ne sauroit conclure de-là que j'ai des sentimens François; car on verra clairement que je ne suis point Françoise, par l'opposition qui me sera faite de la part de la France. Je me remets pour le reste à ce que Son Eminence vous marquera, & je m'abandonne en tout à votre prudence & à votre direction par rapport à l'affaire en question, vous envoyant deux Procurations en double forme de ma part, pour vous en servir quand le cas le requérera.

Swedish translation (my own):

Jag förklarar återigen att jag är och alltid skall att vara nöjd med alla Era operationer; Ni kan bara handla med en försiktighet som jag alltid har hänvisat till i mina tidigare, eftersom jag gjorde Er känna till mina känslor, och särskilt i förhållande till den mest gynnsamma tidpunkten att tala om min person eller till kallelsen, eller vid valrådet, efter att aldrig ha hört att det talades om det tidigare, och jag tror inte att jag har förklarat mig på annat sätt; ty jag är väl nog underrättad i världens angelägenheter att inte begå ett sådant fel, genom att låtsas att jag borde nämnas före kallelsen.

Kardinal Azzolinos känsla är att min memoar till Republiken Polen kan presenteras på franska, både för att jag inte ser något annat sätt att justera titlarna på latin, och för att eftersom mina brev är skrivna på franska, kan man av detta inte dra slutsatsen att jag har franska känslor; för det kommer tydligt att framgå att jag inte är fransman av den opposition som kommer att ställas mot mig från Frankrikes sida. Jag överlåter mig för resten åt vad Hans Eminens kommer att antyda för Er, och jag överlämnar mig i allt till Er försiktighet och Er riktning i förhållande till saken i fråga, och skickar Er två fullmakter i dubblettform från mig, ty Ni använder det när fallet kräver det.

English translation (my own):

I declare once again that I am and will always be satisfied with all your operations; you can only act with a prudence to which I have always referred in my previous ones, since I made you know my feelings, and particularly in relation to the most favourable time to speak of my person or to the summons, or at the Council of the Election, having never heard that it was spoken of sooner, and I do not believe I have explained myself otherwise; for I am well enough informed in the affairs of the world not to commit such a fault, by pretending that I should be mentioned before the summons.

Cardinal Azzolino's feeling is that my memorandum to the Republic of Poland can be presented in French, both because I see no other way to adjust the titles in Latin, and because since my letters are written in French, one cannot conclude from this that I have French sentiments; because it will be clearly seen that I am not French by the opposition that will be made to me on the part of France. I leave myself for the rest to what His Eminence will indicate to you, and I abandon myself in everything to your prudence and your direction in relation to the matter in question, sending you two proxies in duplicate form from me, for you use it when the case requires it.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Galleazzo Marescotti, the Apostolic Nuncio to Poland.

No comments:

Post a Comment