Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Excerpt from Kristina's letter to Galleazzo Marescotti, the Apostolic Nuncio to Poland, in response being told she/he/they might have signed inauthentic procuration letters without knowing it, dated April 27, 1669

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 383, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter:

Vous devez néanmoins savoir que je ne signe jamais rien que le ne l'aye revu premiérement, & que dans une affaire de cette importance, comme est celle en question, je ne suis pas capable d'agir à l'aveugle. Aucun de mes Ministres n'oseroit non plus prendre la hardiesse d'y arbitrer à mon insçu & sans mon commandement exprès, comme peut-être vous l'aurez pu croire. Mais la raison de vous avoir envoyé les Procurations en cette forme, doit être venue de la confiance que j'ai mise en vous, étant persuadée que vous traiterez l'affaire suivant les sentimens que je vous ai expliqués dans mes précédentes, & suivant les promesses que vous en avez faites par Son Eminence, auxquelles je me rapporte.

Swedish translation (my own):

Ni måste dock veta att jag aldrig underskriver något som helst förrän jag ser det först, och att jag i en sak av denna betydelse, som den ifråga är, icke är kapabel att agera blint. Ej heller skulle någon av mina ministrar våga ta djärvheten att medla utan min vetskap och utan mitt uttryckliga befallning, som Ni kanske hade trott. Men anledningen till att Eder sändande fullmakterna i denna form torde ha kommit av det förtroende, som jag har visat Eder, varande övervisad att Ni skall handlägga saken efter de känslor som jag har förklarat Eder i mina tidigare brev, och enligt de löften som Ni har givit av Hans Eminens, som jag hänvisar till.

English translation (my own):

You must know, however, that I never sign anything until I see it first, and that in a matter of this importance, as is the one in question, I am not capable of acting blindly. Nor would any of my ministers dare take the boldness to arbitrate without my knowledge and without my express command, as perhaps you might have believed. But the reason for sending you the procurations in this form must have come from the confidence I have placed in you, being persuaded that you will deal with the matter according to the sentiments which I have explained to you in my previous letters, and according to the promises which you have made by His Eminence, to which I refer.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Galleazzo Marescotti, the Apostolic Nuncio to Poland.

No comments:

Post a Comment