Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Jane Ruthven's letter to James Pringle, dated September 17, 1653

Source:

Ruthven correspondence. Letters and papers of Patrick Ruthven, Earl of Forth and Brentford, and of his family, A.D. 1615 - A.D. 1662, page 131, compiled, edited and published by the Roxburgh Club and William Dunn Macray, 1868


The letter:

SIR,
I hav reseved yours dated the 20 of June, wher in I ffind my Lady's generousity very much extended to mee, and hav, according to your commands, aknoulidged it to hir in asuering hir that, iff I may wons bee agaien so hapy as to bee restord to any of my lost ffortune, that she shall ffreely shar in it and disspos on it as she pleases. I conffess it a greatt bountty in her to hav resingd that mony over to mee; I dowt not butt God will recompenc her just dealling towards mee. With this letter I hop my Lady will send you the comission and the other paper you desird that I should sing withe wittnesses. Sir, I hop I shall not now need to importune you agaien; I know your generousity to bee so greatt, and I am perswaded that the doughter of him whom you so highly hav esteemd and infinetly obliged during his liff, cannot exscepect les then the continewation of your goodness still towards hir in dissposing off my affairs as you think it ffitting. As concerning the mony which my Lady hes now lefftt over to mee, I shal not yeett desir that it may bee lifftted up, butt humbly desir off you that it may bee in saff hands, and that you will dispone of it as you think it may bee most proffitabllest for my us. Iff ther wer a posibility to let it out upon inttreast, I shoulld very gladly see itt; yeatt, Sir, I beag your pardone in presuming to give you a councell. I am sur and wholly rely upon your just dealling in my affairs, beeing my poor deseased ffatther hes thought you the ffittest persone; and, ffinding your genenerous dealling towards him during his liff, I dowtt not butt my unworthy selff shall still ffind the effects of your justic, and griv and nothing so much as that I hav not the powr to act any thing wherby I might giv you evident testimony how much I dow desir to bee esteemed,
Sir,
Your ever constant reall ffreiand and cousen,
JANE RUTHVEN.
Stokhollam, the 17 off Septtember, 1653.

For my much honoured coussine the Lard off Whyttbanke.

No comments:

Post a Comment