Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Jane Ruthven's letter to James Pringle, dated September 8, 1655

Source:

Ruthven correspondence. Letters and papers of Patrick Ruthven, Earl of Forth and Brentford, and of his family, A.D. 1615 - A.D. 1662, page 133, compiled, edited and published by the Roxburgh Club and William Dunn Macray, 1868


The letter:

WORTHY SIR,
I have ever found your generousitty so greatt to mee, that I perswad my selff, though my present misfortun makes mee uncapabell of itt, yett the ty of consangguinitty and freandsheep was betwixt my laet father and you will not permit you alltogether to abandon his doughtter in hir great extreamitty, boutt give your assistans and advis that my Lady may give hir consent to seall a littell land that is in Sweden for my reliff and subsistanc; also to give your asistanc in what may be a lyvilihood to me, how is leffit amost to my selff. I conffess my Lady hes deallit just with mee in giveing in giveing [sic] mee all the plactt and jewells belongt to my shar, on which I hav lived, and does still. I besich you, Sir, let not my misfourtun turn your goodness from mee, but to asist the afflictted, which will bee a verrie exceaptabell servis to God, and show a genrousity beyond the expecttation of thes tims, and oblidg,
Sir,
Your unfortunat cossing and servant,
JAEN RUTHVEN.
The 8 of September, 1655.

Sir, you know I had a pretention tow 14 thowsand marks, but sinc I cannot satisffiy my Lady conserning hir joyntter, I most beag that she may reseve no wrong; I will rander my selff to hir discretion, what hir Ladiship will alow me. But I besich you deall well with my Lady; you may by that means perswad hir the more to assiste mee in my nesisity.

For my very much honoured cousing, the Laird of Whittbanck, in Scottland.

No comments:

Post a Comment