Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Postscript from Kristina's letter to Galleazzo Marescotti, the Apostolic Nuncio to Poland, dated February 23, 1669

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 381, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter excerpt:

Souvenez-vous que je mourrai plutôt, que de me laisser forcer à me marier. C'est pourquoi je vous avertis de ne m'engager que sous la condition que je ne me marierai pas sans le consentement de la République; car je suis contente qu'ils donnent l'exclusion à celui que je leur proposerai, supposé que ce cas fût possible. Toutefois j'ai cette confiance en vous, que par votre dextérité vous saurez conduire ce point-là de maniére que je reste libre.

Swedish translation (my own):

Kom ihåg att jag hellre skulle dö än att låta mig tvingas in i äktenskap. Det är därför jag varnar Er att inte anlita mig förutom på villkoret att jag inte skall gifta mig utan Republikens samtycke; ty jag är nöjd med att de skall utesluta den jag skall föreslå dem, förutsatt att det fallet är möjligt. Men jag har detta förtroende för Er, att Ni genom Er skicklighet skall kunna hantera denna punkt på ett sådant sätt att jag förblir fri.

English translation (my own):

Remember that I would rather die than let myself be forced into marriage. This is why I warn you not to engage me except on the condition that I shall not marry without the consent of the Republic; for I am content that they will exclude the one I will propose to them, supposing that case to be possible. However, I have this confidence in you, that by your dexterity you will be able to manage this point in such a way that I remain free.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Galleazzo Marescotti, the Apostolic Nuncio to Poland.

No comments:

Post a Comment