Monday, December 12, 2022

Kristina's letter to Domingo de Guzman, in favour of Curzio Franciotti, dated January 17, 1674

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 93, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


The letter:

Le 17. Janvier 1674.
Don Domingo de Gusmann, estimant comme je fais votre personne & votre mérite, je crois pouvoir espérer que vous ne ferez pas difficulté de répondre à l'envie que j'ai de voir le Sieur Curzio Franciotti entiérement rétabli dans votre amitié, dont il est digne par les sentimens de considération qu'il a pour vous. C'est pourquoi je vous prie d'oublier à mon égard tout ce qui s'est passé entre vous, & de m'assurer que vous n'aurez pas à l'avenir pour ce Gentilhomme d'autres sentimens que d'amitié & de bienveillance; & soyez persuadé que c'est me faire plaisir que de consentir à cet accommodement que je vous propose, parce qu'il me tient fort au cœur, priant Dieu qu'il vous tienne en sa sainte garde.

Swedish translation (my own):

Den 17 januari 1674.
Don Domingo de Guzman,
Uppskattande, som jag gör, Er person och Era förtjänster, tror jag att jag kan hoppas att Ni inte kommer att finna det svårt att svara på den önskan jag har att se signor Curzio Franciotti fullständigt återupprättad till Er vänskap, som han är värdig av hänsynskänslorna han har för Er. Därför ber jag Er att för mig glömma allt som har förflutit mellan Er och att försäkra mig om att Ni inte i framtiden kommer att ha andra känslor för denne herre än vänskap och välvilja; och var övertygad om att det ger mig nöje att samtycka till detta boende som jag föreslår Er, ty det ligger mig varmt om hjärtat, bedjande Gud att han har Er i sin heliga vård.

English translation (my own):

January 17, 1674.
Don Domingo de Guzman,
Esteeming, as I do, your person and your merit, I think I can hope that you will not find it difficult to respond to the desire I have to see Signor Curzio Franciotti entirely restored to your friendship, of which he is worthy by the feelings of consideration he has for you. That is why I beg you to forget with regard to me all that has passed between you, and to assure me that you will not have in the future for this gentleman any other feelings than friendship and benevolence; and be persuaded that it gives me pleasure to consent to this accommodation which I propose to you, because it is close to my heart, praying God that He have you in His holy keeping.


Above: Kristina.

No comments:

Post a Comment