Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Kristina's letter to the wife of Antonio Grimani, the Venetian ambassador to Rome, dated March 7, 1668

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 90, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


Bibliothèque interuniversitaire (Montpellier); Manuscrits de la reine Christine; Lettere a principi d'altezza e d'eccellenza; Lettere a principi d'eccellenza: lettere al Vice-re di Napoli; Lettres à Madame Grimani; Christine de Suède à Madame Grimani, Hambourg, 7 mars 1668


The letter:

[De Hambourg, le 7. Mars 1668.]
Madame l'Ambassadrice Grimani, je vous remercie des civilités que vous m'avez faites à l'occasion de votre venue à Rome. Estimant, autant que je le fais, votre affection, les témoignages que vous m'en donnerez me seront toujours très-agréables; je vous demande la conservation de votre amitié, vous assurant de la satisfaction que j'aurai à mon retour de vous faire mieux connoître l'estime & la tendresse dont je vous honorerai toujours. Cependant je prie Dieu &c.

Swedish translation (my own):

Hamburg, den 7 mars 1668.
Fru ambassadris Grimani,
Jag tackar Er för de hederligheter Ni har gjort till mig i samband med att Ni kommit till Rom. Uppskattande, som jag gör, Er tillgivenhet, de betygelser som Ni ger mig om den kommer alltid att vara mycket angenäma för mig; jag ber Er att bevara Er vänskap, försäkrande Er om den tillfredsställelse jag kommer att få när jag återvänder för att få Er att bättre känna den aktning och ömhet med vilken jag alltid kommer att hedra Er. Emellertid ber jag till Gud, osv.

English translation (my own):

Hamburg, March 7, 1668.
Lady Ambassadress Grimani,
I thank you for the civilities you have made to me on the occasion of your coming to Rome. Esteeming, as much as I do, your affection, the testimonies that you will give me of it will always be very agreeable to me; I beg you to preserve your friendship, assuring you of the satisfaction I will have on my return of making you better know the esteem and tenderness with which I will always honour you. In the meantime, I pray to God, etc.


Above: Kristina.

No comments:

Post a Comment