Monday, December 12, 2022

Kristina's letter to Domenico Marzio III Carafa, Duca di Maddaloni, in favour of his brother Marino Carafa della Stadera di Maddaloni, dated April 27, 1675

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 92, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


The letter:

Le 27. Avril 1675.
Monsieur le Duc de Matalona, j'ai vu avec plaisir les expressions dont vous vous servez dans votre Lettre pour me remercier de la considération que j'ai eue pour D. Martino votre Frére, qui aura bien su connoître l'état que je fais de votre personne & de votre amitié, à laquelle je répondrai toujours par de véritables marques de considération & d'estime, dans toutes les occasions que vous me ferez naître. Cependant je prie Dieu qu'il vous tienne en sa sainte garde.

Swedish translation (my own):

Den 27 april 1675.
Signor il duca di Maddaloni,
Jag har med nöje sett de uttryck Ni använder i Ert brev för att tacka mig för den hänsyn jag har haft för don Marino, Er bror, som väl kommer att ha kunnat känna till Er persons tillstånd och Er vänskap, till vilken jag alltid kommer att svara med verkliga tecken på omtanken och aktningen vid alla tillfällen som Ni kommer att ge mig. Emellertid ber jag till Gud att han har Er i sin heliga vård.

English translation (my own):

April 27, 1675.
Signor il duca di Maddaloni,
I have seen with pleasure the expressions you use in your letter to thank me for the consideration I have had for Don Marino, your brother, who will have been able to know well the state of your person and your friendship, to which I will always respond with genuine marks of consideration and esteem on all the occasions that you will give me. In the meantime, I pray to God that He have you in His holy keeping.


Above: Kristina.

No comments:

Post a Comment