Monday, December 12, 2022

Kristina's letter to Francesco Marino I Caracciolo, 4th Prince di Avellino, in favour of his uncle Father Pignatelli, undated

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 92, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


The letter:

La Lettre que vous m'avez écrite au sujet de l'Evêché d'Avellino, m'a été rendue quelques jours après l'entrée des Cardinaux dans la Conclave, ce qui m'oblige à différer les offices que vous desirez de moi en faveur du Pére Pignatelli votre Oncle; mais je n'oublierai pas de les employer après l'élection, lorsque le tems & la conjoncture sera propre, souhaittant d'y pouvoir réussir, pour vous donner cette satisfaction, & vous témoigner en effet la volonté que j'ai de vous obliger, priant Dieu &c.

Swedish translation (my own):

Brevet Ni skrev till mig om biskopsrådet i Avellino återlämnades till mig några dagar efter kardinalernas inträde i konklaven, vilket förpliktar mig att skjuta upp de tjänster som Ni vill ha av mig till förmån för fader Pignatelli, Er onkel; men jag kommer inte att glömma att använda dem efter valet, när tiden och situationen kommer att vara lämplig, i hopp om att kunna lyckas där för att ge Er denna tillfredsställelse och sannerligen visa Er den vilja som jag har att förplikta Er, bedjande till Gud, osv.

English translation (my own):

The letter you wrote to me about the Bishopric of Avellino was returned to me a few days after the entry of the Cardinals into the conclave, which obliges me to postpone the services that you want from me in favour of Father Pignatelli, your uncle; but I will not forget to use them after the election, when the time and the situation will be suitable, hoping to be able to succeed there to give you this satisfaction and to show you in fact the will that I have to oblige you, praying to God, etc.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Francesco Marino I Caracciolo, 4th Prince di Avellino.

No comments:

Post a Comment