Monday, December 12, 2022

Kristina's letter to Sibylle Hedwig, Duchess of Saxe-Lauenburg, dated July 18, 1682

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 96, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


The letter:

Le 18. Juillet 1682.
Madame la Duchesse de Saxe-Lawembourg, votre Lettre m'a été bien rendue par le Pére Général votre Cousin, qui me sera témoin auprès de vous, de la joie avec laquelle je l'ai reçue, aussi-bien que de l'estime & de la tendresse que je vous conserve. Je vous remercie de la maniére obligeante dont vous vous exprimez, vous demandant la continuation de votre amitié, à laquelle je répondrai toujours par de véritables marques de la mienne. Cependant je prie Dieu qu'il vous tienne en sa sainte garde.

Swedish translation (my own):

Den 18 juli 1682.
Madam hertiginnan av Sachsen-Lauenburg,
Ert brev har givits till mig av generalfadern, Er kusin, som med Er kommer att vittna för mig om den glädje med vilken jag har tagit emot det, samt om den aktning och ömhet som jag har för Er. Jag tackar Er för det vänliga sättet Ni uttrycker dig på, och ber Er om vänskapens fortsättningen, som jag alltid kommer att bemöta med mina sanna betygelser. Emellertid ber jag till Gud att han har Er i sin heliga vård.

English translation (my own):

July 18, 1682.
Madame the Duchess of Saxe-Lauenburg,
Your letter has been given to me by the Father General, your cousin, who will bear witness to me with you of the joy with which I have received it, as well as of the esteem and tenderness that I have for you. I thank you for the obliging way in which you express yourself, begging you for the continuation of your friendship, to which I will always respond with genuine marks of mine. In the meantime, I pray to God that He have you in His holy keeping.


Above: Kristina.

No comments:

Post a Comment