Monday, June 24, 2024

Kristina's letter to King Louis XIV, dated October 7/17 (New Style), 1658

Source:

CHRISTINE DE SUÈDE (1626-1689) REINE DE SUÈDE... - Lot 462 - Ader, LETTRES ET MANUSCRITS AUTOGRAPHES (LOTS 308 À 602), Thursday, April 27, 2017, at ader-paris.fr



"Beautiful letter from Queen Kristina after her abdication, her conversion, and her installation in Rome, on her alliance with France. [A year earlier, Kristina was in France to negotiate with Mazarin her proposed accession to the throne of Naples; convinced that her equerry Monaldeschi was betraying her for the benefit of Spain, she had him assassinated at Fontainebleau on November 10, 1657, before returning to Rome in May 1658.]..."

The letter (the first page is missing from view):

... me persuade qu'il me serà facil[e] d'obtenir de la satisfaction, puisque l'interest mesme de V M la luy demande pour moy, ie la supplie de la faveur d'une prompte resolution afinque ie ne languisse plus dans des incertitudes qu'ont este iusque icy si preiudiciables a mes interests, en attendant ses fauorables resolutions, ie vous prie d'estre persuade que ie suis
Vostre Bonne Soeur
Christine Alexandre
a Rome ce 17me ottobre 1658

With modernised spelling:

... me persuade qu'il me sera facile d'obtenir de la satisfaction, puisque l'intérêt-même de Votre Majesté la lui demande pour moi. Je la supplie de la faveur d'une prompte resolution, afin que je ne languisse plus dans des incertitudes qu'ont été jusqu'ici si préjudiciables à mes intérêts. En attendant ses favorables résolutions, je vous prie d'être persuadé que je suis
votre bonne Sœur
Christine Alexandre.
A Rome, ce 17 octobre 1658.

Swedish translation (my own):

... övertygar mig om att det blir lätt för mig att få tillfredsställelse, ty Ers Majestäts eget intresse kräver det för mig. Jag ber Er om en snabb lösning så att jag inte längre försvinner i osäkerheter som hittills varit så skadliga för mina intressen. Medan jag väntar på Era gynnsamma resolutioner ber jag Er att vara övertygad om att jag är
Er goda Syster
Kristina Alexandre.
Rom, den 17 oktober 1658.

English translation (my own):

... persuades me that it will be easy for me to obtain satisfaction, as Your Majesty's own interest requires it for me. I beg you for the favour of a prompt resolution so that I no longer languish in uncertainties which have hitherto been so prejudicial to my interests. While awaiting your favourable resolutions, I beg you to be persuaded that I am
your good Sister
Kristina Alexandre.
Rome, October 17, 1658.


Above: Kristina.


Above: King Louis XIV of France.

Note: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings and queens considered themselves siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment