Thursday, September 22, 2022

Kristina's letter to Gaspar Méndez de Haro, Viceroy of Naples and 7th Marquis of Carpio, dated January 4, 1683

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 40, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


The letter:

Le 4. Janvier 1683.
Mon Cousin, m'intéressant comme je fais à votre prospérité, j'ai appris avec joie par votre lettre votre heureuse arrivée à Terracine, quoiqu'un peu incommodé de la goutte. Je vous remercie du souvenir que vous me témoignez, & vous prie de vous souvenir de la justice à votre mérite. Je vous assure qu'en tout tems, & en tous lieux, vos pouvez faire état, que mon estime & mon amitié vous seront entiérement acquises, & qu'en toutes les occasions je tâcherai de vous en donner les plus obligeantes marques, que vous en pouvez desirer de moi.

Cependant je vous félicite sur votre entrée à Naples, & prie Dieu qu'il vous tienne, mon Cousin, en sa sainte & digne garde.

Swedish translation (my own):

Den 4 januari 1683.
Min kusin,
Eftersom jag är intresserad av Ert välstånd, har jag med glädje av Ert brev lärt mig om Er lyckliga ankomst till Terracina, även om Ni är lite besvärad av gikt. Jag tackar Er för att Ni minns mig, och jag ber Er komma ihåg rättvisa till Era förtjänster. Jag försäkrar Er att Ni vid alla tidpunkter och på alla ställen kan konstatera att min aktning och min vänskap helt och hållet kommer att vara för Er, och att jag vid alla tillfällen kommer att försöka ge Er de mest tillmötesgående betygelser av dem som Ni kan önska av mig.

Emellertid gratulerar jag Er till Ert inträde i Neapel, och jag ber till Gud att han skall ha Er, min kusin, i sin heliga och värdiga bevaring.

English translation (my own):

January 4, 1683.
My cousin,
Interested as I am in your prosperity, I have learned with joy from your letter of your happy arrival at Terracina, although a little inconvenienced by gout. I thank you for remembering me, and I beg you to remember justice to your merit. I assure you that at all times and in all places, you can state that my esteem and my friendship will be entirely for you, and that on all occasions I will try to give you the most obliging marks of them that you can desire of me.

In the meantime, I congratulate you on your entry into Naples, and I pray to God that He have you, my cousin, in His holy and worthy keeping.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Gaspar Méndez de Haro, Viceroy of Naples and 7th Marquis of Carpio.

Note: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings and queens considered themselves siblings; when talking to someone of a lower rank than their own, they would refer to that person as "my cousin", regardless of whether or not they were related.

No comments:

Post a Comment