Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Kristina's letter to Cardinal Toussaint de Forbin-Janson, Bishop of Marseille, year 1678

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 18, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


The letter:

Votre Lettre est bien obligeante, & les sentimens qu'elle contient, ne pouvoient être plus agréablement reçus. J'ai pour votre personne & votre mérite toute l'estime que vous pouvez desirer; & ce me seroit un grand sujet de joie & de satisfaction, s'il se présentoit quelque occasion de vous le témoigner. Vous pouvez, sans vous tromper, être persuadé que votre fortune & votre espérance me sont à cœur; mais j'ai le déplaisir de n'y pouvoir contribuer que par des desirs inutiles, dont je me console; vous voyant d'ailleurs si bien appuyé, je ne doute pas qu'on ne rende tôt ou tard justice à votre mérite. Cependant je vous prie de conserver pour moi l'amitié & le zéle que vous me témoignez, vous assurant que je poursuivrai toujours avec estime & reconnoissance &c.

Swedish translation (my own):

Ert brev är mycket tillmötesgående, och de känslor det innehåller kunde inte ha mottagits mer behagligt. Jag har för Er person och Er förtjänst all den aktning Ni kunde önska; och det vore en källa till stor glädje och tillfredsställelse för mig om något tillfälle skulle uppstå att visa det för Er. Ni kan, utan att ta fel, vara övertygad om att Er fortun och Ert hopp ligger mig varmt om hjärtat; men jag har det missnöje att kunna bidra till det endast genom värdelösa begär, för vilka jag tröstar mig; ser jag Er dessutom så väl understödd, jag tvivlar inte på att rättvisa förr eller senare kommer att ske till Er förtjänst. Emellertid ber jag Er bevara för mig den vänskap och iver Ni visar mig, försäkrande Er om att jag alltid kommer att fortsätta med aktning och tacksamhet, osv.

English translation (my own):

Your letter is very obliging, and the sentiments it contains could not have been more pleasantly received. I have for your person and your merit all the esteem you could desire; and it would be a source of great joy and satisfaction to me if any occasion presented itself to show it to you. You can, without being mistaken, be persuaded that your fortune and your hope are close to my heart; but I have the displeasure of being able to contribute to it only by useless desires, for which I console myself; seeing you, moreover, so well supported, I have no doubt that sooner or later justice will be done to your merit. In the meantime I beg you to preserve for me the friendship and zeal you show me, assuring you that I will always continue with esteem and gratitude, etc.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Cardinal Toussaint de Forbin-Janson, Bishop of Marseille.

No comments:

Post a Comment