Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Kristina's letter to Ferdinand II of Fürstenburg, Prince-Bishop of Paderborn, dated October 5, 1667

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 9, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


Bibliothèque interuniversitaire (Montpellier); Manuscrits de la reine Christine; Lettere a diversi; Lettere a diversi Vescovi; Christine de Suède à l'évêque de Paderborne, Hambourg, 5 octobre 1677 [sic]


The letter:

De Hambourg ce 5. Octobre 1667.
Mon Cousin, j'ai reçu avec estime les sentimens exprimés dans votre Lettre; & comme j'ai beaucoup de disposition & d'amitié pour vous, j'ai voulu employer les bons offices que vous desirez de moi auprès de Sa Sainteté, & auprès du Cardinal Azzolino; vous les trouverez ci-joints. Je souhaite que le tout succéde à votre contentement, car vous le méritez fort: & me préparant pour m'en retourner à Rome, je ne manquerai pas de contribuer toujours à votre satisfaction, & je prie Dieu &c.

Swedish translation (my own):

Från Hambourg, den 5 oktober 1667.
Min kusin,
Jag har mottagit de i Ert brev uttryckta känslorna med aktning, och då jag har ett stort sinnelag och vänskap för Er, har jag velat begagna de goda tjänster Ni önskar av mig med Hans Helighet och med kardinal Azzolino; Ni finner dem bifogade. Jag hoppas att allt lyckas till Er belåtenhet, ty Ni förtjänar det mycket; och förberedande mig för att återvända till Rom, kommer jag inte att underlåta att alltid bidra till Er tillfredsställelse, och jag ber till Gud, osv.

English translation (my own):

From Hamburg, October 5, 1667.
My cousin,
I have received the sentiments expressed in your letter with esteem, and as I have a great disposition and friendship for you, I have wanted to use the good services you desire from me with His Holiness, and with Cardinal Azzolino; you will find them attached. I hope that everything succeeds to your contentment, because you deserve it very much; and, preparing myself to return to Rome, I will not fail to contribute always to your satisfaction, and I pray to God, etc.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Cardinal Decio Azzolino.


Above: Ferdinand II of Fürstenburg, Prince-Bishop of Paderborn.

Note: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings and queens considered themselves siblings; when talking to someone of a lower rank than their own, they would refer to that person as "my cousin", regardless of whether or not they were related.

No comments:

Post a Comment