Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Kristina's letter to Cardinal César d'Estrées, Duke-Bishop of Laon, dated July 6, 1669

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 13, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


The letter:

Le 6. Juillet 1669.
Monsieur l'Evêque Duc de Laon, vous êtes trop obligeant de me faire de nouveaux remercimens, pour la justice que je rends toujours à votre mérite en cette Cour, où je ne laisserai jamais de vous assister, de tout mon pouvoir, pour vous donner sujet de me continuer votre confiance, & de vous assurer de la sincére amitié & de l'estime particuliére que je rends à votre mérite. Cependant je prie Dieu &c.

Swedish translation (my own):

Den 6 juli 1669.
Monsieur l'évêque, duc de Laon,
Ni är alltför vänlig att ge mig nytt tack för den rättvisa som jag alltid gör till Er förtjänst i detta hov, där jag aldrig skall underlåta att hjälpa Er, med all min makt, att ge Er anledning att fortsätta Ert förtroende för mig, och att försäkra Er om den uppriktiga vänskapen och den speciella aktning som jag ger till Era förtjänster. Emellertid ber jag till Gud, osv.

English translation (my own):

July 6, 1669.
Monsieur l'évêque, duc de Laon,
You are too obliging to give me new thanks for the justice that I always do to your merit in this court, where I will never fail to assist you, with all my power, to give you reason to continue your confidence in me, and to assure you of the sincere friendship and the particular esteem which I render to your merit. In the meantime, I pray to God, etc.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Cardinal César d'Estrées, Duke-Bishop of Laon.

No comments:

Post a Comment