Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Kristina's letter to Prior Ximénez on his work and association with the academy founded by Eleonore Magdalene of Neuburg, Holy Roman Empress consort, undated

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 47, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


Bibliothèque interuniversitaire (Montpellier); Manuscrits de la reine Christine; Lettere a diversi; Varii lettere de suoi tempi; Christine de Suède au prieur Himenez, [s. l.], [s. d.]


The 2,000th post on this blog!

The letter:

Monsieur le Prieur Ximinès, je n'ai reçu que cette semaine votre Ouvrage accompagné de votre Lettre du 22. du passé, l'un & l'autre m'ont été très-agréables, puisque j'agrée en cette occasion les témoignages de votre bonne volonté. J'ai lu votre Ouvrage avec plaisir, l'ayant trouvé à mon gré, & je me réjouis avec vous de ce que vous employez si bien vos talens. Vous m'obligerez de m'envoyer tout ce qu'on a fait & ce qui se fera dans l'Académie de l'Impératrice Léonore, car vous me ferez passer d'agréables heures; je m'assure que tout sera beau, curieux, & digne de la vertu & de l'esprit de cette illustre Princesse, à l'estime de laquelle je répons avec sincérité, vous priant de lui rappeller toujours que je suis la personne du monde qui l'honneur & l'estime le plus, & soyez persuadé de l'état que je fais de votre personne. Je prie Dieu &c.

Swedish translation (my own):

Monsignor prior Ximénez,
Jag mottog endast Ert verk denna vecka, åtföljt av Ert brev av den 22 i förra månaden, vilka båda var mycket trevliga för mig, eftersom jag vid detta tillfälle accepterar vittnesbördet om Er välvilja. Jag har läst Ert verk med nöje, efter att ha funnit det till min smak, och jag gläds med Er över att Ni använder Era talanger så väl. Ni kommer att tvinga mig att sända mig allt som har gjorts och vad som kommer att ske i kejsarinnan Eleonoras akademi, ty Ni kommer att ge mig trevliga timmar; jag försäkrar mig själv att allt kommer att vara vackert, nyfiket och värdigt dygden och andan hos denna berömda prinsessa, till vars aktning jag svarar med uppriktighet och ber Er att alltid påminna henne om att jag är den person i världen som hedrar och uppskattar henne mest; och var övertygad om den aktning jag har för Er person. Jag ber till Gud, osv.

English translation (my own):

Monsignor Prior Ximénez,
I only received your work this week, accompanied by your letter of the 22nd of last month, both of which were very pleasant to me, as I accept on this occasion the testimony of your goodwill. I have read your work with pleasure, having found it to my liking, and I rejoice with you that you employ your talents so well. You will oblige me to send me everything that has been done and what will be done in the Academy of the Empress Eleonore, for you will give me pleasant hours; I assure myself that everything will be beautiful, curious, and worthy of the virtue and the spirit of this illustrious princess, to whose esteem I answer with sincerity, begging you to always remind her that I am the person of the world who honours and esteems her the most; and be persuaded of the esteem I have for your person. I pray to God, etc.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Eleonore Magdalene of Neuburg, Holy Roman Empress consort.

No comments:

Post a Comment