Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Kristina's letter to Marquis Pallavicino about Eleonore Magdalene of Neuburg, Holy Roman Empress consort, undated

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 48, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


The letter:

Monsieur, je vous rends grace du soin que vous avez eu de parler de moi à l'Impératrice. Je mérite l'honneur qu'elle m'a fait par la sincére & cordiale amitié que j'ai pour elle. Je vous prie de me conserver toujours dans son souvenir comme la personne du monde qui l'honnore & l'estime le plus. Continuez aussi d'être de mes amis, & soyez persuadé de l'état que je fais de votre mérite, priant Dieu qu'il vous tienne en sa sainte garde &c.

Swedish translation (my own):

Signor,
Jag tackar Er för den omsorg Ni har tagit när Ni talade om mig till kejsarinnan. Jag förtjänar den ära hon har gjort mig genom den uppriktiga och hjärtliga vänskap jag har för henne. Jag ber Er att alltid bevara mig i hennes minne som den person i världen som hedrar och uppskattar henne mest. Fortsätt också att vara en av mina vänner och bli övertygad om hur mycket aktning jag har för Er förtjänst, bedjande till Gud att han har Er i sin heliga bevaring, osv.

English translation (my own):

Signor,
I thank you for the care you have taken in speaking about me to the Empress. I deserve the honour she has done me by the sincere and cordial friendship I have for her. I beg you to preserve me always in her memory as the person in the world who honours and esteems her the most. Also continue to be one of my friends, and be persuaded of the esteem that I have for your merit, praying to God that He have you in His holy keeping, etc.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Eleonore Magdalene of Neuburg, Holy Roman Empress consort.

No comments:

Post a Comment