Monday, September 19, 2022

Kristina's letter to Restaino Cantelmo, 2nd Prince of Pettorano and 7th Duke of Popoli, dated October 12, 1680

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 35, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


The letter:

Le 12. Octobre 1680.
J'ai tant d'estime pour votre personne, & pour votre maison, que c'est à moi à vous remercier de l'occasion que vous m'avez donnée, d'employer mes offices auprès du Roi d'Angleterre en votre faveur; & tout ce j'ai fait est assez payé par le remerciment si obligeant que vous m'avez fait par la vôtre du 31. Juillet passé. Je souhaite de tout mon cœur, que l'affaire réussisse à votre contentement, & je vous prie de me donner des occasions plus importantes pour vous favoriser. Cependant je prie Dieu qu'il vous tienne en sa sainte garde.

Swedish translation (my own):

Den 12 oktober 1680.
Jag har så mycket aktning för Er person och för Ert hus att det är för mig att tacka Er för den möjlighet Ni har givit mig att använda mina tjänster hos konungen av England till Er fördel; och allt jag gjort är tillräckligt betalt av den förpliktande tacksägelse som Ni givit mig genom Ert brev av den 31 juli. Jag önskar av hela mitt hjärta att affären lyckas till Er tillfredsställelse, och jag ber Er att ge mig större möjligheter att gynna Er. Emellertid ber jag till Gud att han har Er i sin heliga vård.

English translation (my own):

October 12, 1680.
I have so much esteem for your person, and for your house, that it is for me to thank you for the opportunity you have given me to employ my services with the King of England in your favour; and everything I have done is sufficiently paid for by the obliging thanks you have given me by your letter of July 31st. I wish with all my heart that the affair succeeds to your satisfaction, and I beg you to give me greater opportunities to favour you. In the meantime, I pray to God that He have you in His holy keeping.


Above: Kristina.

No comments:

Post a Comment