Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Kristina's letter to Charles Caton de Court on the subject of Descartes, undated

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 20, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


The open letter Kristina refers to here:


The letter (I have added in Arckenholtz's proposition for the blanked-out words):

Monsieur, je vous envoye ce que vous avez desiré. J'ai voulu écrire en François, parce que cette langue m'est plus naturelle, & qu'elle l'étoit aussi à notre Philosophe, de qui j'ai mille biens que je ne mérite pas. Votre affection vous ayant fait mentir en ma faveur, j'ai voulu vous décharger de ce blâme en disant la vérité sur ce sujet, de [ma conversion]. Vous y trouverez le secret qui auroit été ignoré de tout le monde, si vous ne m'aviez donné occasion de le publier; car je le crois si glorieux à notre Philosophe, que je n'ai pas voulu le taire. Je vous prie de prendre la peine de faire votre charge, en corrigeant ce que vous trouverez de défectueux & d'étranger dans les expressions de ce Brevet, & de me le renvoyer pour le faire corriger; car pour le sens, je crois que vous n'y trouverez rien à redire. Je prie, &c.

Swedish translation (my own):

Monsieur,
Jag skickar det Ni ville ha. Jag ville skriva på franska eftersom detta språk är mer naturligt för mig, och det var också så för vår Filosof, från vilken jag har tusen välsignelser som jag inte förtjänar. Såsom Er tillgivenhet att ha fått Er att ljuga till min fördel, ville jag befria Er från denna skuld genom att berätta sanningen om detta ämne, om min omvändelse. Ni finner där hemligheten som skulle ha varit okänd för alla om Ni inte hade gett mig möjlighet att publicera den; därför att jag tror att det är så härligt för vår Filosof att jag inte ville tysta det. Jag ber Er att göra Er besväret att göra Er plikt genom att rätta det Ni finner defekt och främmande i uttrycken av detta patent, och att skicka tillbaka det till mig för att få det rättat; ty vad gäller innebörden tror jag att Ni inte kommer att finna något fel med den. Jag ber, osv.

English translation (my own):

Monsieur,
I am sending you what you wanted. I wanted to write in French because this language is more natural to me, and it was also so to our Philosopher, from whom I have a thousand blessings that I do not deserve. Your affection having made you lie in my favour, I wanted to relieve you of this blame by telling the truth on this subject, of my conversion. You will find there the secret which would have been unknown to everyone if you had not given me the opportunity to publish it; because I believe it so glorious to our Philosopher that I did not want to silence it. I ask you to take the trouble to do your duty by correcting what you find defective and foreign in the expressions of this patent, and to send it back to me to have it corrected; because as for the meaning, I believe that you will find nothing wrong with it. I pray, etc.


Above: Kristina.


Above: René Descartes.

No comments:

Post a Comment