Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Kristina's letter to Friedrich Wilhelm, the Elector of Brandenburg, dated January 24, 1688

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 4, page 159, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1760


The letter:

Mon cher Frére, j'ai reçu avec joye & avec beaucoup d'estime les offres obligeantes que V. A. E. m'a voulu faire par la Lettre que vous m'avez écrite sur la plus importante & délicate occasion de ma vie; & le Baron Dobrzinski, qui me l'a rendue, vient d'y ajouter par votre ordre des expressions si pleines de zéle & d'affection de la part de V. A. que je ne puis plus, sans me faire tort à moi-même & à V. A. douter de vous être redevable d'une amitié sincére & tendre. C'est pourquoi je vous rends grace d'avoir chargé un si honnête homme, qui occupe des Postes si considérables à votre Cour, de m'instruire de vos sentimens & de vos dispositons. Il me sera témoin que j'ai reçu toutes les honnêtetés de V. A. avec toute l'estime & toute la reconnoissance dont je suis capable, & que j'en suis aussi pénétrée que je dois l'être, ne souhaitant rien plus que l'occasion d'y répondre aussi dignement que je le voudrois. Je l'ai chargé du soin de vous persuader de ces vérités, & de suppléer auprès de V. A. aux défauts de mes expressions, pour vous assurer que je suis
Mon cher Frére,
Votre bonne Sœur
C. A.
André Galdenblad.
Rome ce 24. Janvier
1688.

Swedish translation (my own):

Min käre bror,
Jag har med glädje och med stor aktning mottagit de vänliga erbjudanden som Ers Kurfurstliga Höghet velat göra mig genom det brev som Ni skrivit mig vid mitt livs viktigaste och ömtåligaste tillfälle; och baron Dobrzyński, som har givit mig det, har rättnu på Er befallning lagt därtill uttryck så fulla av iver och tillgivenhet för Ers Höghet, att jag inte längre kan, utan att göra mig själv fel och få Ers Höghet att tvivla, att jag är Er tacksam för en uppriktig och öm vänskap. Det är därför jag tackar Er för att Ni har ålagt en så ärlig man, som innehar så viktiga poster vid Ert hov, att informera mig om Era känslor och Era dispositioner. Han skall vara mitt vittne om att jag har mottagit alla Ers Höghets ärligheter med all den aktning och all den tacksamhet som jag förmår, och att jag är så imponerad därav som jag borde vara, och önskar inget annat än möjligheten att svara Er så värdigt som jag skulle vilja. Jag har givit honom uppdraget att övertyga Er om dessa sanningar och att förse Ers Höghet med bristerna i mina uttryck, för att försäkra Er att jag är,
Min käre bror,
Er goda syster
K. A.
Andreas Galdenblad.
Rom, den 24 januari
1688.

English translation (my own):

My dear brother,
I have received with joy and with great esteem the obliging offers which Your Electoral Highness has wished to make to me by the letter which you have written to me on the most important and delicate occasion of my life; and Baron Dobrzyński, who has given it to me, has just added to it, by your order, expressions so full of zeal and affection on behalf of Your Highness that I can no longer, without doing myself wrong and making Your Highness doubt, that I am indebted to you for a sincere and tender friendship. That is why I thank you for having charged such an honest man, who occupies such important posts at your court, to inform me of your feelings and your dispositions. He will be my witness that I have received all Your Highness's honesties with all the esteem and all the gratitude of which I am capable, and that I am as impressed with it as I ought to be, wishing for nothing more than the opportunity to answer you as worthily as I would like. I have charged him with the task of persuading you of these truths, and of supplying Your Highness with the defects of my expressions, to assure you that I am,
My dear brother,
Your good sister
K. A.
Andreas Galdenblad.
Rome, January 24,
1688.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg.

Note: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings, queens and other rulers considered themselves siblings; when talking to someone of a lower rank than their own, they would refer to that person as "my cousin", regardless of whether or not they were related. Kristina addressed the Elector as "cousin" for a long time, but began to address him as "brother" in later years.

No comments:

Post a Comment