Saturday, January 15, 2022

Kristina's letter to Professor Matthias Wasmuth, dated March 15, 1687

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, volume 2, page 270, Johan Arckenholtz, 1751


The 1,300th post on this blog!

The letter:

Mr. Wasmuth. J'ai reçu la lettre & le tableau universel, que vous m'avez envoïé, lequel j'ai fait éxaminer par des gens de la profession; & j'ai voulu faire connoitre mes sentimens là-dessus, par les pièces ci-jointes, que j'ai fait composer par eux. Si vous voulez que cet ouvrage porte mon nom, & qu'il s'acheve à mes dépens, il faut que vous le corrigiez selon les instructions que je vous envoïe ci-jointes, & que vous ôtiez tout ce qui peut choquer par la moindre parole les oracles & les Décrèts de la sainte Eglise Romaine, autrement n'espérez plus rien de moi, & souvenez-vous, que je vous ai fait cette déclaration dès le commencement de notre commerce. C'est pourquoi prenez bien garde, que dans un ouvrage qui doit porter mon nom & doit se faire à mes dépens, vous ne mettiez la moindre parole qui soit contraire à l'infaillibilité du Pape & de l'Eglise Romaine, pour laquelle je suis prête de donner tout le sang que j'ai dans les veines, & mille vies, si j'en avois autant. Vous assurant, que sur ce chapitre je suis extrêmement délicate & tout à fait inéxorable. Vous verrez aussi ce que j'ai corrigé dans votre lettre dédicatoire. Mais au reste, je trouve votre ouvrage digne d'immortalité & vos fatigues sont admirables. Je vous sai aussi gré en particulier d'avoir fait une honnorable mention de feu Francesco Levera, comme je vous l'avois ordonné. Dieu vous fasse prospérer.
CHRISTINE ALEXANDRA.
Rome, ce 15 Mars 1687.
André Galdenblad.

English translation (my own):

Mr. Wasmuth. I received the letter and the universal picture that you sent me, which I had examined by people of the profession; and I wanted to make known my feelings on this, by the attached documents, which I had composed by them. If you want this work to bear my name, and for it to be completed at my expense, you must correct it according to the instructions that I send you herewith, and that you remove anything that may shock by the slightest word the oracles and decrees of the holy Roman Church; otherwise do not expect anything from me, and remember that I made this declaration to you from the beginning of our trade. This is why you must take great care that, in a work which must bear my name and must be done at my expense, you do not put the slightest word which is contrary to the infallibility of the Pope and of the Roman Church, for which I am ready to give all the blood I have in my veins, and a thousand lives, if I have that many; assuring you that on this chapter I am extremely delicate and quite inexorable. You will also see what I corrected in your dedication letter. But aside from all that, I find your work worthy of immortality, and your fatigues are admirable. I am also particularly grateful to you for making an honourable mention of the late Francesco Levera, as I ordered you to do. God bless you.
Kristina Alexandra.
Rome, this 15 March 1687.
Andreas Galdenblad.


Above: Kristina.

No comments:

Post a Comment