Monday, August 22, 2022

Kristina's letter to Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg, undated

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 485, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter:

Je vous dois un remerciment de l'amitié que V. A. m'a fait de m'accorder la Neutralité pour mes Domaines en cas de guerre; & non seulement d'avoir eu tant d'honnêteté pour moi, mais encore de m'avoir obligée de la meilleure grace du monde. Si j'ai négligé de vous la demander dans les formes, vous jugerez bien que mon silence étoit fondé sur la confiance entiére que j'avois en votre amitié, de laquelle je n'espérois pas moins que ce qui m'est arrivé. Je veux donc bien vous dire, que je suis ravie d'être obligée à un Prince pour qui j'ai autant d'estime & d'amitié, & je vous proteste qu'en cette obligeante occasions les nœuds du sang qui nous unissent sont moins forts, que le mérite de votre personne, qui me lie d'affection à V. A. Je vous prie d'être persuadé de ma reconnoissance, & de vouloir achever ce que vous avez si favorablement commencé, en disposant vos Alliés à imiter l'exemple de V. A. pour la conservation & le repos de mes Domaines. Ce sera une nouvelle obligation que je vous aurai, à laquelle je répondrai en toute occasion par la continuation d'une amitié sincére & fidéle; & pour vous en donner une véritable preuve, je me rejouis avec V. A. du bon parti que vous avez pris, en vous unissant inséparablement à l'Empereur & à l'Empire. Les succès de Vienne font assez voir que le Ciel est de ce parti; & j'espére qu'il lui sera toujours favorable contre tous ses Ennemis. C'est ce que je souhaite de tout mon cœur, étant &c.

Swedish translation (my own):

Jag är skyldig Er tacksägelse för den vänskap Ers Höghet har visat mig för att jag har beviljat mig neutralitet för mina underhållsländer i händelse av krig; och inte bara för att ha varit så ärlig mot mig, utan också för att ha förpliktat mig med den bästa nåd i världen. Om jag försummade att fråga Er formellt, kommer Ni lätt att bedöma att mitt tigande grundade sig på det fullständiga förtroende jag hade för Er vänskap, av vilken jag förväntade mig inte mindre än vad som har kommit till mig. Jag vill därför säga Er att det gläder mig att vara skyldig en furste för vilken jag har så mycket aktning och vänskap, och jag försäkrar Er att vid detta förpliktande tillfälle är de blodsband som förenar oss mindre starka än Er persons förtjänst. , som binder mig med tillgivenhet till Ers Höghet. Jag ber Er att vara övertygad om min tacksamhet och att gärna fullborda det som Ni så gynnsamt börjat, genom att bereda Era bundsförvanter att efterlikna Ers Höghets exempel för bevarandet och freden av mina underhållsländer. Det kommer att vara en ny skyldighet som jag kommer att ha gentemot Er, som jag skall svara på vid alla tillfällen genom att fortsätta med en uppriktig och trogen vänskap; och för att ge Er ett verkligt bevis på det, glädjer jag mig med Ers Höghet över det goda beslut Ni har tagit i att förena Er oskiljaktigt med kejsaren och riket. Framgångarna i Wien visar tydligt nog att himlen är på denna sida; och jag hoppas att det alltid kommer att vara gynnsamt för det mot alla dess fiender. Detta är vad jag önskar av hela mitt hjärta, varande, osv.

English translation (my own):

I owe you thanks for the friendship Your Highness has shown me for granting me neutrality for my domains in case of war; and not only for having been so honest with me, but also for having obliged me with the best grace in the world. If I neglected to ask you formally, you will easily judge that my silence was based on the complete confidence I had in your friendship, from which I expected no less than what has come to me. I therefore want to tell you that I am delighted to be obliged to a prince for whom I have so much esteem and friendship, and I assure you that on this obliging occasion the blood ties which unite us are less strong than the merit of your person, which binds me with affection to Your Highness. I beg you to be persuaded of my gratitude, and to gladly complete what you have so favourably begun, by disposing your allies to imitate Your Highness's example for the preservation and peace of my domains. It will be a new obligation that I will have to you, to which I will respond on all occasions by the continuation of a sincere and faithful friendship; and to give you a real proof of it, I rejoice with Your Highness in the good decision you have taken in uniting yourself inseparably with the Emperor and the Empire. The successes of Vienna show clearly enough that Heaven is on this side; and I hope that it will always be favourable to her against all her enemies. This is what I wish with all my heart, being, etc.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of Brandenburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment