Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Postscript from Kristina's letter to Manuel Texeira, dated November 6, 1677

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 484, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The postscript:

Croyez-moi, je sens plus vivement les disgraces de la Suède. Ce n'est pas que ses pertes me soient sensibles pour mon intérêt particulier, auquel, par la grace de Dieu, j'ai le cœur assez fort pour n'y être pas sensible. Mais ce qui m'attriste, c'est de voir un Royaume si misérablement ruiné, pour la gloire & la félicité duquel je me suis tant fatiguée, & pour la conservation duquel j'aurois mille fois versé mon sang. Mais Dieu l'a voulu ainsi. Sa sainte volonté soit faite! Patience!

Swedish translation (my own):

Tro mig, jag känner Sveriges skam starkast. Det är inte så att jag är känslig för dess förluster för mitt privata intresse, för vilket, av Guds nåd, mitt hjärta är tillräckligt starkt för att inte vara känsligt för dem. Men det som gör mig ledsen är att se ett rike så eländigt förstört, för vars ära och lycka jag själv har tröttnat så mycket, och för vars bevarande jag skulle ha utgjutit mitt blod tusen gånger. Men Gud har velat det så. Hans heliga vilja ske! Tålamod!

English translation (my own):

Believe me, I feel Sweden's disgraces most vividly. It is not that I am sensitive to its losses for my private interest, to which, by the grace of God, my heart is strong enough not to be sensitive to them. But what saddens me is to see a kingdom so miserably ruined, for the glory and happiness of which I have been tired myself so much, and for the preservation of which I would have shed my blood a thousand times. But God has willed it so. His holy will be done! Patience!


Above: Kristina.

No comments:

Post a Comment