Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Postscript from Kristina's letter to Manuel Texeira, dated October 16, 1677

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 482, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The postscript:

Je suis si accoutumée à l'ingratitude des hommes, que rien ne me surprend plus ici, & je suis préparée à tout. J'ai prévu les disgraces de la Suède, comme vous dites. Dieu veuille qu'il ne lui arrive pas encore pis. Je suis curieuse d'apprendre où le Roi de Dannemarc ira débarquer; car je ne saurois croire qu'il soit à Rugen. Je sais où il pourroit encore faire beaucoup pis. Je voudrois que je me trompasse! C'est un grand & brave Prince. Malgré tout le mal qu'il me fait, je ne puis m'empêcher de l'estimer, ni de rendre justice à son grand mérite.

Swedish translation (my own):

Jag är så van vid männens otacksamhet att ingenting förvånar mig här längre, och jag är beredd på vad som helst. Jag har förutsett Sveriges skam, som Ni säger. Gud give att ännu värre inte händer med det. Jag är nyfiken på att veta var konungen av Danmark skall gå i land, ty jag kan inte tro att han är på Rügen. Jag vet var han fortfarande kunde göra mycket värre. Jag önskar att jag hade fel! Han är en stor och modig furste. Trots all skada han gör mig kan jag inte låta bli att uppskatta honom och inte heller låta bli att göra rättvisa till hans stora förtjänst.

English translation (my own):

I am so accustomed to the ingratitude of men that nothing surprises me here anymore, and I am prepared for anything. I have foreseen the disgraces of Sweden, as you say. God grant that even worse does not happen to it. I am curious to learn where the King of Denmark is going to disembark, for I cannot believe he is at Rügen. I know where he could still do much worse. I wish I was wrong! He is a great and brave prince. Despite all the harm he does me, I cannot help esteeming him, nor doing justice to his great merit.


Above: Kristina.

No comments:

Post a Comment