Monday, August 29, 2022

Kristina's letter to King Louis XIV of France, with a postscript in her/his/their own handwriting for her/his/their secretary, dated July 1678

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 510, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter:

Le    Juillet 1678.
Monsieur mon Frére, le Sieur Cederkrans mon Secretaire, que j'ai dépêché avec une ample Commission pour le Roi de Suède, a ordre d'aller informer V. M. du détail de sa Commission, & aussi de la prier de ma part de vouloir favoriser mes intérêts, tant en recommandant la justice de ma cause en Suède, qu'en me la rendant elle-même sur les points qui dépendent directement de V. M. même. Je la prie donc de vouloir l'écouter, ou lui-même, ou Monsieur de Pompone, que j'ai prié de réprésenter le tout à V. M. & d'être persuadé que ce sera m'obliger sensiblement, que de me témoigner en cette occasion ce que je dois me permettre de son amitié, étant &c.

Copiatemi questa Lettera in forma, come se fossero Lettere di pugno mio. Bisogna farlo subito, scrivendo ogni cosa, & in due foglie piccoli alla francese.

French translation of the postscript (my own):

Copiez-moi cette lettre dans la forme, comme s'il s'agissait de lettres de ma propre main. Il faut le faire tout de suite, en écrivant tout, et en deux petites feuilles à la française.

Swedish translation (my own):

Juli 1678.
Monsieur min bror,
Herr Cederkrantz, min sekreterare, som jag har utsänt med ett rikligt uppdrag åt Sveriges Konung, har befallning att gå och underrätta Ers Majestät om detaljerna i hans uppdrag, och även att be Er på mina vägnar att gynna mina intressen, så länge såsom genom att anbefalla min saks rättvisa i Sverige än genom att själv ge mig den på de punkter som direkt beror på Ers Majestät själv. Jag ber Er därför att lyssna på honom själv eller till monsieur de Pomponne, som jag har bett att framlägga det hela för Ers Majestät, och att vara övertygad om att det kommer att vara en betydande skyldighet för mig att vid detta tillfälle betyga vad jag har att tillåta mig själv av Er vänskap, varande, osv.

Copiatemi questa lettera in forma, come se fossero lettere di pugno mio. Bisogna farlo subito, scrivendo ogni cosa, ed in due foglie piccoli alla francese.

Swedish translation of the postscript (my own):

Kopiera detta brev till mig i formuläret, som om det vore brev från min egen hand. Ni måste göra det direkt, skriva ner allt och i två små ark på franska.

English translation (my own):

July 1678.
Monsieur my brother,
Lord Cederkrantz, my secretary, whom I have dispatched with an ample commission for the King of Sweden, has orders to go and inform Your Majesty of the details of his commission, and also to beg you on my behalf to favour my interests, as long as by recommending the justice of my cause in Sweden than by rendering it to me yourself on the points which depend directly on Your Majesty yourself. I therefore beg you to listen to him himself, or to Monsieur de Pomponne, whom I have asked to present the whole thing to Your Majesty, and to be persuaded that it will be a considerable obligation for me to testify on this occasion what I have to allow myself of your friendship, being, etc.

Copy this letter to me in the form, as if it were letters from my own hand. You must do it right away, writing everything down, and in two small sheets in French.


Above: Kristina.


Above: King Louis XIV of France.

Note: In accordance with the nobility's ideals in the early modern era, kings and queens considered themselves siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment