Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Kristina's letter to Francesco Bonvisi, the Apostolic Nuncio to Vienna, with a postscript in her/his/their own handwriting, dated August 22, 1676

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 495, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The letter:

Rispondo hora più particolarmente alla Lettera di V. S. dei 4. del corrente, dicendole intorno alle nostre cose di quà, che siamo più che mai nell'incertezza dell'evento, una cosa sola vi è indubitata, ed alla gloria immortale dei Signori Cardinali Altieri, & Azzolino; i quali mediante una condotta incomparabile si sono resi gli arbitri del Conclave, nel quale vien universalmente acclamata la virtù, ed il merito del Sigr. Cardl. Odescalchi, ne vi è altro che l'esclusione dichiarata dalla Francia che ritardi la sua Elettione. Qual debba però esser l'evento d'Odescalchi trà pochi giorni si manifesterà, e credo che se non è lui Papa, il Conclave sarà lungo. In tal caso V. S. potrà sperar molto, ed esser certa, che Io, e'l Cardl. Azzolino in sede vacante, ed in sede piena faremo, se vi farà l'adito, tutto in favor di V. S. e vorremmo che toccasse a lei di far le prime parti nel nuovo Pontificato. Sò ch'ella m'intende, mà o tocchi questa fortuna ad Odescalchi, o ad altri, si dovrà riconoscere dopo Dio dalli Cardl. Altieri, & Azzolino; E questa è indubitato, ne creda a chi le dirà diversamente.

Sopra la lettera scrittami ultimamente dall'Imperatore m'occorre dir a V. S. che hò inteso con ammirazione che si voglia prender il pretesto di gettar la colpa delle gelosie supposte sopra i miei servitori; poiche quanto al sospetto della mia persona non mi scandalizza punto, nè me ne posso offendere, sapendo che i Principi devono haver gelosia de' pari miei, e sò pure quanta, e quale siano le ragioni, che possono movare i Collegati ad haverla di me; Ma il sospettare de' miei, questo si che mi pare un torto fatto a me stessa. Io hò pochi Servitori, e quelli non hanno, ne possono haver altri fini, nè altri interessi che i miei e benche ne siano poco informati sanno però che hanno da ubbedire, e servire a me sola, e non ad altri; E sappia V. S. che io in casa mia hò cosi stabilita questa massima nell'animo di tutti i miei, che non vi è alcuno che non sia persuaso, che facendo diversamente gli costerebbe o la vita, o il servizio mio, e gli essempi passati d'alcuni, che hanno operato diversamente hanno imparato a tutti, ch'io fò poche Ceremonie.

Quando io era nel mio Regno haveva Consiglieri e Ministri in quantità, quali tutti erano da me sentiti, ma io sola pigliava da me le Resoluzioni a modo mio, tanto nelle cose grandi, quanto nelle piccole, ne altro io richiedeva dai Servitori e Ministri miei, che una cieca ubbedienza, colla quale si esseguivano i Decreti miei senza replica. Io sola era la Padrona, la Suezia ed il Mondo tutto, però non dico altro, oggidì io hò mutata la fortuna, mà non già l'animo, e fò adesso in piccolo quello, che allora faceva in grande, e permetto a V. S. che non vi è, nè vi sarà servitore ne Ministro mio c'hablia mai l'ardire di mover un passò senza l'ordine, e la saputa mia.

L'ingratitudine della Suezia o per dir meglio quella del Governo di Suezia verso di me, le mie offese dissimulate, mà non dimenticate, l'occasione ottima che mi fà sperar di poter far le mie vendette, e la necessità precisa di megliorare i miei interessi coll'accostarmi al partito dei Collegati, sono le potenti ragioni, le quali possono sgombrare ogni gelosia mal fondata, che si possa haver di me: Nè io saprei dar megliori sicurrezze che questi motivi.

Io apro in questa occasione tutto il mio cuore a V. S. e le dico che anche dall'altra parto mi si fanno offerte, e belle parole in quantità, ma il mio interesse, & il mio genio mi portano verso il partito dei Collegati, purche io possa trovarvi il contro mio, ed io sono hora in termini tali, che non mi bastano le belle parole; Però la prego a compiacersi di primere sempre più per le mie giuste sodisfazione.

Io benedico Dio d'haver differito il mio viaggio, perche sarei inconsolabile, se non mi fossi trovata qui alla nova Elettione, havendo io riposte tutte le mie sparanze, dopo Dio, nell'efficace assistenza del Papa, e mi giova sperare che a chiunque toccherà la fortuna, succederà anche nella somma bontà che la S:ta memoria di Clemente X°. haveva verso di me, onde godo d'esser restata qui per accudir a, miei interessi, dispiacendomi di non poter dir a quella di V. S. perche non spero di poter tanto. Dò a V. S. tutti questi cenni, perche se ne vaglia secondo la sua prudenza, alla quale mi rimetto, e ringraziandola sempre più dell'affettuosa premura con che s'affatica per me, e per le cosa mie, le auguro &c.

P. S. Di novo ringrazio V. S. di quanto hà operato per me, e l'assicuro che trouverà in me un gradimento degno del merito suo in tutte le sue occorrenze. Mi dispiace solo proter poco di quel tanto ch'io desidero di fare per Lei &c.

French translation (by Arckenholtz):

Je réponds à-présent plus particuliérement à votre Lettre du quatriéme du courant, vous disant au sujet de nos affaires ici, que nous sommes plus que jamais incertains, comment elles finiront. Ce qui est très-sûr, & qui tourne à la gloire immortelle des Seigneurs Cardinaux Altiéri & Azzolino, c'est que par leur conduite incomparable ils se sont rendus les arbitres du Conclave, où la vertu & le mérite du Sgr. Cardinal Odescalchi sont généralement applaudis, & rien n'y retarde son élection que l'exclusion déclarée de la France. On saura dans peu de jours quel sera le sort d'Odescalchi, & je crois que s'il ne devient pas Pape, le Conclave en traînera bien. En ce cas vous pouvez beaucoup espérer, & être assuré que moi & le Cardinal Azzolino, in sede vacante, & in sede plenâ, ferons, si l'on y peut avoir entrée, tout notre possible en votre faveur; & nous voudrions que vous jouissiez des prémices du nouveau Pontificat. Je sai que vous m'entendez; mais soit que ce bonheur arrive à Odescalchi ou à d'autres, après Dieu on en aura l'obligation aux Cardinaux Altiéri & Azzolino, & cela est indubitable. N'ajoutez aucune créance à celui qui vous dira autrement.

Il faut que je vous dise au sujet de la Lettre que l'Empereur m'écrivit derniérement, que j'ai appris avec admiration, qu'on veut prendre prétexte de jetter la faute des jalousies supposées, sur mes Serviteurs; car pour les soupçons qu'on a de moi-même, je ne m'en scandalise ni ne m'en offense pas, sachant que les Princes doivent être jaloux de mes semblables, & je sai très-bien les raisons que les Alliés pourroient avoir de me porter jalousie; mais d'en soupçonner les miens, cela me paroît un tort qu'on me fait à moi-même. J'ai peu de Serviteurs, & ils n'ont, ni ne peuvent avoir d'autres vues, ni d'autres intérêts à cœur que les miens; & quoiqu'ils soient peu informés, ils savent pourtant qu'ils ont à m'obéir, & à me servir seule & personne autre. Il faut que vous sachiez, que chez moi, où j'ai établi cette maxime dans l'esprit de tous ceux qui m'appartiennent, qu'il n'y en a pas un qui ne soit persuadé, que s'il faisoit autrement, cela lui coûteroit ou la vie, ou son emploi; & l'exemple de quelques-uns, qui ont agi contre mes intentions, ont appris à tous, que je n'y fais pas beaucoup de cérémonies.

Quand j'étois dans mon Royaume, j'avois nombre de Conseillers & de Ministres, que je consultois tous, & j'entendois leurs avis: mais je prenois les résolutions de moi-même à ma façon, tant dans les grandes que dans les moindres affaires; & je n'exigeois autre chose de mes Serviteurs & Ministres, qu'une aveugle obéissance, avec laquelle ils exécutoient mes Decrets sans replique. J'étois seule Maîtresse absolue, je voulois l'être, & savois l'être par la grace de Dieu. L'Empereur, la Suède, & tout le monde le sait. Il est vrai qu'à l'heure qu'il est, j'ai changé de fortune, mais pas de sentiment; & je fais à-présent en petit, ce que je faisois alors en grand. Je vous assure qu'il n'y a, ni n'y aura aucun de mes Serviteurs & Ministres qui ait la hardiesse de faire un pas sans mon ordre & à mon insu.

L'ingratitude de la Suède, ou, pour mieux dire, celle du Gouvernement de Suède envers moi; les offenses reçues que je sai dissimuler, mais qui ne sont pas oubliées; une meilleure occasion qui me fait espérer de me venger, & la nécessité pressante d'améliorer ma condition en prenant le parti des Alliés, sont les puissantes raisons de faire cesser toute jalousie mal fondée qu'on pourroit avoir de moi. Je ne puis pas donner de meilleures sûretés que ces motifs-là.

Je vous ouvre tout mon cœur dans cette occasion, & je vous dirai qu'on me fait aussi des offres & qu'on me donne force bonnes paroles de l'autre côté; mais mon intérêt & mon génie me portent vers le parti des Alliés. Je demande seulement de pouvoir trouver mon compte; car je suis présentement dans des circonstances que de bonnes paroles ne me suffisent pas. C'est pourquoi je vous prie de vouloir vous intéresser d'autant plus à mes justes prétentions.

Je rends graces à Dieu d'avoir différé mon voyage; & je serois inconsolable, si je ne m'étois pas trouvée ici à la nouvelle Election, ayant mis toute mon espérance, après Dieu, dans l'assistance efficace du Pape; & je me flatte que celui qui aura le bonheur d'y parvenir, succédera aussi dans la haute bienveillance que Clément X. de sainte mémoire m'avoit témoignée. Je me réjouis donc d'être restée ici pour veiller à mes intérêts, & je suis fâchée de n'en pouvoir pas dire autant des vôtres, parce que je n'espére pas d'y pouvoir contribuer beaucoup. Je vous tiens ce discours pour que vous vous en prévaliez selon votre prudence, à laquelle je me remets; je vous remercie de très-bon cœur de votre empressement affectueux pour moi & pour mes affaires, & vous souhaite, &c.

P. S. de la propre main de la Reine.
Je vous réitére mes remercimens des peines que vous prenez pour moi, & je vous assure que vous trouverez en moi toute la reconnoissance que vous méritez. Je suis seulement mortifiée que mes forces soient si fort au-dessous de ce que je souhaiterois de faire pour vous.

Swedish translation (my own):

Jag svarar nu mer specifikt på Ert brev av den fjärde denna månad, och berättar för Er om våra affärer här, att vi mer än någonsin är osäkra på hur de kommer att sluta. Vad som är mycket säkert, och som vänder sig till signori kardinalerna Altieri och Azzolinos odödliga härlighet, är att de genom sitt ojämförliga uppförande har gjort sig själva till domare i konklaven, där signor kardinal Odescalchis dygd och förtjänst i allmänhet applåderas, och ingenting försenar hans val där förutom den förklarade uteslutningen av Frankrike. Vi kommer att veta om några dagar vad som kommer att bli Odescalchis öde, och jag tror att om han inte blir påve kommer konklaven att dra ut på tiden. I så fall kan Ni hoppas mycket och vara säker på att jag och kardinal Azzolino, in sede vacante, et in sede plena, kommer att göra, om möjligt, allt vi kan till Er fördel; och vi vill att Ni skall njuta av de första frukterna av det nya pontifikatet. Jag vet att Ni hör mig; men om denna lycka händer Odescalchi eller andra, efter Gud kommer vi att ha en skyldighet gentemot kardinalerna Altieri och Azzolino, och det är utom tvivel. Ge inte någon trovärdighet till någon som säger något annat till Er.

Jag måste berätta om det brev som kejsaren skrev till mig nyligen, av vilket jag med beundran fick veta att de vilja ta förevändningen att lägga skulden för förmodade svartsjuka på mina tjänare; därför att för de misstankar som människor har av mig själv, är jag varken skandaliserad eller kränkt, eftersom jag vet att furstar måste vara avundsjuka på mina medmänniskor, och jag vet mycket väl de skäl som allierade kunde ha för att göra mig avundsjuk; men att misstänka mitt för att det verkar vara fel att jag görs mot mig själv. Jag har få tjänare, och de har och kan inte ha några andra åsikter eller intressen på hjärtat än mina; och även om de är lite informerade, vet de ändå att de måste lyda mig och tjäna mig ensam och ingen annan. Ni måste veta att hemma, där jag har fastställt denna maxim i alla dem som tillhöra mig, att det inte finns en som inte är övertygad om att om han gjorde något annat, det skulle kosta honom antingen hans liv eller hans uppehälle; och exemplet av några, som har agerat mot mina avsikter, har lärt alla att jag inte utför många ceremonier där.

När jag var i mitt rike hade jag ett antal rådgivare och ministrar som jag rådfrågade alla, och jag lyssnade på deras åsikter. Men jag fattade mina egna beslut på mitt eget sätt, lika mycket i de stora affärerna som i de mindre; och jag krävde inget annat av mina tjänare och tjänare än en blind lydnad med vilken de verkställde mina dekret utan att ifrågasätta. Jag var den enda absoluta härskarinna, jag ville vara den och visste hur jag skulle vara den, av Guds nåd. Kejsaren, Sverige och alla vet det. Det är sant att jag för närvarande har förändrats i fortun, men inte i känslor; och jag gör nu i liten skala vad jag gjorde då i stor skala. Jag försäkrar Er att det varken finns, eller kommer att finnas, någon av mina tjänare och ministrar som har djärvheten att ta ett steg utan min befallning och utan min vetskap.

Sveriges otacksamhet, eller, rättare sagt, den svenska regeringens mot mig; de inkomna förseelser som jag vet hur jag skall dölja, men som inte glöms bort; ett bättre tillfälle som får mig att hoppas att hämnas mig själv, och den trängande nödvändigheten av att förbättra mitt tillstånd genom att ta del av de allierade, är de kraftfulla skälen att sätta stopp för all ogrundad avundsjuka som man kan ha mot mig. Jag kan inte ge bättre säkerhet än dessa motiv.

Jag öppnar hela mitt hjärta för Er vid detta tillfälle, och jag skall säga Er att de också ger mig erbjudanden och att de ger mig många goda ord från andra sidan; men mitt intresse och mitt geni leder mig till de allierades parti. Jag ber bara om att kunna finna min redogörelse, ty jag befinner mig just nu i omständigheter där goda ord inte räcker för mig. Det är därför jag ber Er att intressera Er desto mer för mina rättvisa påståenden.

Jag tackar Gud för att han skjutit upp min resa; och jag vore otröstlig om jag inte hade funnit mig här vid det nya valet, efter att ha ställt allt mitt hopp, efter Gud, till påvens effektiva hjälp; och jag smickrar mig för att den som kommer att ha turen att uppnå detta också kommer att lyckas i den höga välvilja som Clement X, av heligt minne, hade visat mig. Så jag är glad att jag stannade här för att bevaka mina intressen, och jag är ledsen att jag inte kan säga detsamma om Era, ty jag förväntar mig inte att kunna bidra mycket till dem. Jag ger Er denna föreläsning så att Ni kan använda Er av den enligt Er klokhet, som jag litar på; jag tackar Er hjärtligt för Er tillgivna uppmärksamhet på mig och mina affärer, och jag önskar Er, osv.

P. S.
Jag upprepar mitt tack till Er för det besvär Ni gör för mig, och jag försäkrar Er att Ni kommer att finna i mig all den tacksamhet Ni förtjänar. Jag är bara förtvivlad över att mina krafter är så långt under vad jag skulle gärna göra för Er.

English translation (my own):

I now reply more particularly to your letter of the fourth of this month, telling you about our affairs here, that we are more than ever uncertain how they will end. What is very certain, and which turns to the immortal glory of Signori the Cardinals Altieri and Azzolino, is that, by their incomparable conduct, they have made themselves the arbiters of the conclave, where the virtue and merit of Signor Cardinal Odescalchi are generally applauded, and nothing delays his election there except the declared exclusion of France. We will know in a few days what will be the fate of Odescalchi, and I believe that if he does not become Pope, the conclave will drag on well. In that case, you can hope a great deal, and be assured that I and Cardinal Azzolino, in sede vacante, et in sede plena, will do, if possible, all we can in your favour; and we would like you to enjoy the first fruits of the new pontificate. I know you hear me; but whether this happiness happens to Odescalchi or to others, after God we will have an obligation to Cardinals Altieri and Azzolino, and that is beyond doubt. Do not give any credence to anyone who tells you otherwise.

I must tell you about the letter that the Emperor wrote to me recently, from which I learned with admiration, that they want to take the pretext of laying the blame for supposed jealousies on my servants; because for the suspicions that people have of myself, I am neither scandalised nor offended, knowing that princes must be jealous of my fellows, and I know very well the reasons that the allies could have to make me jealous; but to suspect mine of it seems to me a wrong that I am being done to myself. I have few servants, and they have and cannot have any other views or interests at heart than mine; and although they are little informed, they nevertheless know that they have to obey me, and to serve me alone and no one else. You must know that at home, where I have established this maxim in the minds of all those who belong to me, that there is not one who is not persuaded that if he did otherwise, it would cost him either his life or his livelihood; and the example of some, who have acted against my intentions, has taught everyone that I do not perform many ceremonies there.

When I was in my realm, I had a number of advisors and ministers, all of whom I consulted, and I listened to their opinions. But I took my own resolutions in my own way, as much in the great affairs as in the lesser ones; and I required nothing else of my servants and ministers but a blind obedience, with which they executed my decrees without question. I was the sole absolute mistress, I wanted to be that, and knew how to be that, by the grace of God. The Emperor, Sweden, and everyone knows it. It is true that at the present time I have changed in fortune, but not in sentiment; and I now do on a small scale what I then did on a large scale. I assure you that there neither is, nor will be, any of my servants and ministers who have the boldness to take a step without my order and without my knowledge.

The ingratitude of Sweden, or, to speak more correctly, that of the government of Sweden towards me; the offenses received that I know how to conceal, but which are not forgotten; a better opportunity which makes me hope to avenge myself, and the pressing necessity of improving my condition by taking the part of the allies, are the powerful reasons to put an end to any ill-founded jealousy which one might have of me. I cannot give better certainty than these motives.

I open my whole heart to you on this occasion, and I will tell you that they also make me offers and that they give me many good words from the other side; but my interest and my genius lead me to the party of the allies. I only ask to be able to find my account, for I am presently in circumstances that good words are not enough for me. That is why I beg you to interest yourself all the more in my just claims.

I give thanks to God for having postponed my journey; and I would be inconsolable if I had not found myself here at the new election, having placed all my hope, after God, in the effective assistance of the Pope; and I flatter myself that whoever will be lucky enough to achieve this will also succeed in the high benevolence that Clement X, of holy memory, had shown me. So I am glad I stayed here to look after my interests, and I am sorry I cannot say the same about yours, because I do not expect to be able to contribute much to them. I give you this discourse so that you may avail yourself of it according to your prudence, to which I rely; I thank you most heartily for your affectionate attention to me and my affairs, and I wish you, etc.

P. S.
I reiterate my thanks to you for the trouble you take for me, and I assure you that you will find in me all the gratitude you deserve. I am only mortified that my powers are so far below what I would wish to do for you.


Above: Kristina.


Above: Cardinal Francesco Bonvisi, the Apostolic Nuncio to Vienna.

No comments:

Post a Comment