Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Postscript from Kristina's letter to Manuel Texeira, dated January 23, 1677

Source:

Mémoires concernant Christine, reine de Suède, volume 3, page 482, compiled and edited by Johan Arckenholtz, 1759


The postscript:

La Bataille pourroit changer totalement les choses, mais j'en attends peu de bien pour la Suède, & je ne crois pas que ses disgraces finissent par-là. Dieu veuille que je me trompe.

Swedish translation (my own):

Slaget kan totalt förändra saker och ting, men jag förväntar mig inte mycket gott för Sverige, och jag tror inte att dess skam kommer att sluta där. Gud give att jag har fel.

English translation (my own):

The battle could totally change things, but I don't expect much good for Sweden, and I don't think its disgraces will end there. God grant that I am wrong.


Above: Kristina.

No comments:

Post a Comment